Industrial Commercial Development (ICD) emerged from the vision of the Matalon family who were determined to do something on their own, something requiring the “maximum of effort and a minimum of cash”. The groundwork for this effort was laid in 1945 when members of the family pooled resources and established Commodity Services Company (CSCo).
Commodity Service Pharmaceuticals had a fledgling pharmacy in downtown Kingston in the early days. In time it became very successful, and by the late 1950s, a new modern pharmacy was constructed at Half Way Tree. York Pharmacy was managed by Pauline Goodman, the eldest of the children. The pharmacy had an outstanding diner and beautiful gift items along with the usual pharmaceuticals. York Pharmacy became the standard by which all others were measured and a second pharmacy, Oxford, was set up on Old Hope Road. This branch was managed by Adele Matalon, another sister.
A brand new building designed by one of Jamaica’s leading architects was constructed at the corner of Oxford Road and Old Hope Road when Oxford outgrew its location on Old Hope Road. The pharmacy’s diner was famous for its delicious food, particularly their homemade ice cream desserts & hamburgers. Jamaicans from all over the country flocked to the York & Oxford Pharmacies as no trip to Kingston was complete without a visit to either location. At its height, there were five pharmacies owned by Commodity Service across the country and their level of excellence has never been surpassed.